For the past couple of months we've been coordinating with the home owner's association (HOA), identifying a contractor with whom to work, and trying to get the weather to cooperate in order to have the roofing materials replaced on our house. (Some of the process was addressed on June 12, 2016, as Another hectic week has gone by.)
At the time we built (1999), the covenant required that roofing in our HOA be wooden shake shingles. I fought it, at the time, because I consider such roofing to be a fire hazard; but, it wasn't until a couple of years after we moved in when the State of Kansas passed a law saying that homeowners could not be required to use wooden shake shingles. Yay! Since the roof has shown minor leakage over the past 15 months, we had a good incentive to get the roofing replaced. Yesterday, the new composition shingles were delivered - most of which were pre-positioned on the roof. Here's a photo of how the house looked last evening (most of the new shingles are on the back side of the house, out of range from the camera's point-of-view.) The second photo shows our cars, removed from the garage for the convenience of the roofers who would show up at 6:00am, today, and parked at a safe distance from the house.
By 8:30am, today, this is the progress the roofers had made. You may be able to see a white rectangle in the center of the front door in the photo on the left (below). That is the city permit for the work.
Those roofers are really going to earn their pay on this job. We've been having high temperatures and high humidity all summer, with extreme heat/humidity warnings from the National Weather Service for all of this past week. It is forecast to reach 104 degrees Fahrenheit, today, and about the same, tomorrow.